Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Zambia/Sudan: Chipolopolo Stride Into Afcon Semi-Finals

Zambia strode into the African Nations Cup semi-finals with a one-sided 3-0 win over Sudan to book a last four place for the first time in 16 years.

Davies Nkausu of Zambia engages in acrobatics to keep the ball from Sudan's Tahir Mohamed, in white. (Photo Courtesy Sydney Mahlangu/BackpagePix)

They now await either Ghana or Tunisia as they stay in Bata for Wednesday’s semi-final.

Goals from Stopilla, Chris Katongo and James Chamaga ensured a comfortable win.

The game started in an atmosphere more fitting a reserve league game with no more than 2,000 spectators in an empty venue with the noise of the few supporters echoing through the cavernous stadium.

It was very clear early on that Zambia would do the attacking and Sudan look to counter-attack, which had been their successful tactic in their last game against Burkina Faso on Monday.

Rainford Kalaba almost put Emmanuel Mayuka in with an inviting pass after seven minutes and in the 14th minute another inviting ball saw the Swiss-based striker force a fine save from Sudan goalkeeper Akram El Hadi Salem.

Then came the first goal from Sunzu, rising high at the near post and in front of the goalkeeper to head home Chisamba Lungu’s free kick.

It should have been 2-0 to Zambia just seconds later when Isaac Chansa delivered another inviting cross for Mayuka but both he and the Sudanese defence let the ball roll through.

A mistake in defence from Hichani Himoonde allowed Sudan their first serious effort after 20 minutes but Ahmed Bashir shot straight at goalkeeper Kennedy Mweene.

Sudan goalkeeper Salem then stopped a long-range shot from Kalaba as the first half came to an end, finishing in some controversy as Sudan were denied a legitimate looking penalty and instead Ramadan Agab picked up a booking for allegedly diving.

Bizarrely, there were two hamstring tears in the first half for both Yousef Alaeldin and Nazar Hamed, who had to be replaced.

Sudan began more brightly in the second half, with Ahmed Khalifa firing in the first effort on Zambia’s goal.

Mudather Tayeb, the two-goal hero against the Burkinabe, then fired a stinger but Mweene made the save look easy.

The first quarter-hour of the first half suddenly saw Sudan rise in confidence, but they were let down by their final pass.

Then it fell apart when Saifeldin Ali Hidris was caught by the pace of Kalaba in the penalty area and tripped him, earning his second caution of the game and an early shower, leaving Sudan down to 10 men.

Katongo took the penalty; it was well saved, only for the skipper to force the rebound home.

Chamanga came on to score the third with a well-taken curling shot four minutes from time.

Mark Gleeson | 4 February 2012 | AllAfrica |


You must be logged in to post a comment Login