“This morning I went to do community work at Pakoto near Ifo.
“I have since returned to Abeokuta and have attended a meeting on the (Presidential) library”, Obasanjo said.
He thanked all those who had expressed concern over his safety, adding that in the belief of his Yoruba people, it meant that he still has many more years to live.
Confusion today gripped the nation particularly residents of Ogun State following the rumor that the former President was assassinated by unknown gunmen in his private residence, Obasanjo Hill Top, in Abeokuta, broke today and had spread across the land.
The confusion reached its climax when all efforts of the Journalists in the State at getting across the Ota farmer through his phone proved abortive at the initial stage.
Chief Olusegun Obasanjo with his daughter, Esther during her engagement ceremony held Saturday, in Abeokuta.
But the former president who spoke to Journalists in a telephone interview debunked the rumor as he explained that he was calling from his office in Agbeloba, Abeokuta North Local Government area of Ogun State.
In was learnt that relatives in the neighboring states , especially Lagos and Oyo States were already calling their Relations in the Capital city to find out if the former President had been murdered.
Obasanjo, on Saturday, gave out the hand of one of his daughters, Miss Bunmi, in marriage in Abeokuta, the occasion which was attended by dignitaries across and beyond the shore of Nigeria.
The Ota farmer, who described the rumor as mere fallacy confirmed the rumor about his death, saying “I also heard that I am dead, I am alive.”
According to him, “Thank you for taking the trouble to find out, I think you can recognize my voice, I am in my office at Agbeloba, thank you for taking time to find out. I also heard that I am dead, I am alive.”
Gbenga Akinwunmi|11 August 2010|Vanguard (Lagos)|
- Nigeria: Obasanjo, Atiku, Kupolokun Got U.S.$74 Million – Okiro Report Daily Independent (Lagos)| 20 April 2010 | Daily Indepedent| Nigeria’s...
- Jonathan, Obasanjo Absent From Funeral Daily Trust (Abuja) | 9 may 2010|AllAfrica| Goodluck Jonathan who...
- How Obasanjo, Sirleaf-Johnson Betrayed Taylor – Fani-Kayode Abuja — Amidst controversy over the ongoing trial of former...
- Obasanjo, Danjuma Clash over Jonathan’s VP Vanguard (Lagos)| 10 May 2010| Lagos — A MAJOR confrontation...
- Nigeria:Ex-Heads of State to Meet Over Yar’Adua Ndubuisi Francis| 25 December 2009| Lagos — Thirty-one days after...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.