New York — Former President Olusegun Obasanjo said he was part of the Southwest PDP endorsement for President Goodluck Jonathan‘s presidential bid because as a party leader he could not disagree with that decision.
Obasanjo, who spoke on Wednesday in New York in the margins of the UN Millennium Development Goals Summit, said, “I am the chairman of the PDP board of trustees, whatever is being done by my zone, I cannot disagree with it.”
He said media reports to the effect that he abandoned Jonathan’s camp were mischievous.
Obasanjo said Jonathan will do his best in the PDP presidential primaries but did not explain what that means. “I believe he will do his best and if he does his best and the PDP does its best, we will be satisfied with the result,” he said.
“Carl Masters lost his father when he and I were together in China,” he said. “I promised to honour his invitation to attend his father’s burial.”
On 2011 elections, Obasanjo urged Nigerians to be optimistic and to stop “condemning ourselves by the standard other people draw for us.”
He said, “We have many things that we need to correct, one of them is the act of criticising ourselves. We must decide the best standard for us and use that standard truly.”
Habeeb I. Pindiga|26 September 2010|Daily Trust (Abuja)
Related articles by Zemanta
- The Plot Against Jonathan:Why Consensus Candidacy May Not Work, by Zwingina (2) (vanguardngr.com)
- 2011: Jonathan will deliver a new Nigeria – Sambo (vanguardngr.com)
- Nigeria Security Adviser Quits, Plans Vote Run: Aide (nytimes.com)
- Jonathan, Obasanjo Absent From Funeral Daily Trust (Abuja) | 9 may 2010|AllAfrica| Goodluck Jonathan who...
- Nigeria: Obasanjo Barred From UN Building New York — Former President of the Federal Republic of...
- Nigeria: Bamaiyi- I Warned Abdulsalami on Obasanjo Ilorin — FORMER Chief of Army Staff General Ishaya Bamaiyi...
- Nigeria: Jonathan Launches Presidential Bid Amid Pomp And Pageantry Abuja — In a carnival-like political rally attended by the...
- Nigeria: I’m Alive, Says Obasanjo – Debunks Death Rumour Abeokuta — Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, Monday, refuted the rumour...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.