Time.com|21 July 2010|
A black couple living in the U.K. were shocked by the birth of a blonde haired, blue-eyed girl.
Ben Ihegboro must have briefly questioned his wife Angela’s fidelity after the birth of Nmachi, and he conceded: “We both just sat there after the birth staring at her”.
As there is no known mixed-race background in either of the parents’ families, geneticists are baffled by the newborn‘s surprise appearance.
Nmachi is the couple’s third child, with Dumebi, 2, and Chisom, 4, each bearing a strong resemblance to their parents. Doctors rejected the possibility of the baby being albino. The real cause is unknown, with the only explanation being a “genetic quirk.” (See pictures of the first years of four babies.)
Professor Bryan Sykes, head of human genetics at Oxford University, described the birth as “extraordinary,” telling The Sun that for the baby to be completely white, both Ben and Angela would need to have “some form of white ancestry.’” The explanation for this lies in that mixed-race women carry some eggs containing genes for white skin and others for black; similarly men carry the same range of genes in their sperm. (See pictures of pregnant belly art.)
Professor Sykes commented: “The hair is extremely unusual. Even many blonde children don’t have blonde hair like this at birth.”
Ben said that his son Chisom “keeps coming to look at his sister and then sits down looking puzzled.”
Well, Chisom, we’re puzzled too! (via The Sun)
- Zander Sharp
Related articles by Zemanta
- Mystery as Nigerian couple gives birth to white baby in UK (vanguardngr.com)
- Nmachi Ihegboro: White Baby, Black Parents? (Video) (rightcelebrity.com)
- Black parents… white baby (thesun.co.uk)
- Super Bowl 2010- Commentary: Million Dollar Baby By Shirea Carroll |Monday, February 8, 2010| Essence.com The Super...
- Tisha Campbell-Martin: ‘My Baby Is Perfect!’ Kenya N. Byrd -Essence Magazine - 9/11/09- Tisha Campbell-Martin and...
- African Studies Give Women Hope in H.I.V. Fight By CELIA W. DUGGER| Published: July 19, 2010|NY Times| VULINDLELA,...
- Cameroon Web News Live at Saadatou’s baby shower in San Jose, CA cameroonwebnews| 8/30/2009| cameroonwebnews Saadatou Ahmadou’s baby shower in San Jose,...
- Cameroon Web News Live at Rosemond’s baby shower in Tracy, CA cameroonwebnews.com| 8/15/2009| cameroonwebnews.com Rosemond Fotso’s baby shower in Tracy, California....
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.