The Associated Press| Tuesday, June 15, 2010| AP|
Drogba broke his right arm in a warm-up match against Japan on June 4. He underwent surgery and missed several training sessions for rehabilitation.
A special lightweight cast was placed on his arm after an operation on the fracture, and FIFA said Tuesday that the cast was approved after examination by the match referee and Portuguese team officials.
All parties, including referee Jorge Larrionda of Uruguay, needed to be satisfied that the cast does not pose a danger to other players.
But Ivory Coast coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has said he will only know two hours before the match at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium whether Drogba is able to play. The striker scored 37 goals for Chelsea this season to lead the club to the Premier League and FA Cup titles.
FIFA said the soft cast is black and, should Drogba play with a long-sleeve shirt, will not be immediately apparent to spectators.
The cast is similar in design to the one sported by England striker Gary Lineker at the 1986 World Cup, when he was leading scorer with six goals.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Drogba back at training in boost for Ivory Coast (soccernet.espn.go.com)
- Drogba back in training for Ivory Coast (cbc.ca)
- Ivory Coast v Portugal: Didier Drogba doubtful for World Cup clash (telegraph.co.uk)
- Drogba rejoins Ivory Coast with broken arm in cast CBC|Tuesday June 8, 2010 | CBC| Didier Drogba rejoined his...
- Football: Ivorian Didier Drogba ducks surgery before World Cup Saturday, May 1st, 2010| BBC Afrique| Ivorian Didier Drogba has...
- Drogba questionable for World Cup The Associated Press | Saturday, 4 June, 2010| The Associated...
- Côte d’Ivoire: Drogba, toujours incertain, rejoint le groupe AFP| & Juin 2010| AFP| GENÈVE (AFP) L’attaquant Didier Drogba,...
- Ballon d’Or 2009: Didier Drogba votes Samuel Eto’o CAF online| 11/13/2009| Cameroonwebnews Chelsea striker believes that Samuel Eto’o...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.