A gang of four armed men last Friday night kidnapped the son of first Republic Prime Minister, Dr Jhailil Tafawa Balewa in Abuja. Dr. Jhailil is also the leader of one of the Goodluck Jonathan 2011 campaign groups.
According to sources close to the Balewa family, the kidnappers stormed his 29, Ashirk Jarma Street residence in the Jabi area of Abuja at about 7pm all armed with action riffles and took him away after seizing their mobile phones, even as his wife, Mrs Afsat Tafawa Balewa, daughter of one time Premier of Western Region, Chief Samuel Akintola, pleaded with her husband’s abductors.
Dr Jhailil Tafawa Balewa said to be a close friend of President Goodluck Jonathan, has been working with a non-political Pressure Group, “GOODLUCK NAKOWA” (GOODLUCK FOR ALL) to drum support for the President to contest the 2011 Presidential elections. He had also led the group to Lagos last Wednesday to interface with Journalists ahead of its formal launch in Abuja September, 8.
Dr Jhalil Tafawa Balewa was said to have purchased his air tickets that Friday, ready to lead the Goodluck Na kowa Group to put up a show at Umuahia, where the State Governor Orji was defecting to the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Although efforts to reach the National Secretary of the GoodLuck Na Kowa Group, Mallam Mohammed Bala Abdullahi failed as he was said to have probably gone to the Umuahia Jamboree of the PDP, sources close to the group confirmed that their National Chairman Dr Jhailil Tafawa Balewa had been kidnapped and the kidnappers are demanding 100 million naira ransom.
The source disclosed to LEADERSHIP SUNDAY that the kidnappers gained entrance into the house due to lapses on the part of the security men who allowed them in with out proper scrutiny.
“They immediately ordered everyone to lie face down and so we could not see their faces”, he said. He disclosed that the kidnappers took away some money before fleeing with Dr. Jhailil. He disclosed that the kidnappers demanded for N100m, pointing out that the motive for the kidnap could be economic. The source said everything was being done to get the Jhailil released.
FCT police PRO Mr. jimoh Moshood said he was yet to get any details of the kidnap.
Asher 30 August 2010|Leadership (Abuja)|
Related articles by Zemanta
- Nigeria: Vocal Supporter of President Kidnapped (abcnews.go.com)
- Nigeria: son of former prime minister kidnapped (sfgate.com)
- We root for Jonathan, not for our stomach, says Peter Biakpara (vanguardngr.com)
- Nigeria: Goodluck Jonathan investi président par intérim PIERRE EMANGONGO ET A. SOREL FONGUE| 10 Février 2010| Le...
- Jonathan, Obasanjo Absent From Funeral Daily Trust (Abuja) | 9 may 2010|AllAfrica| Goodluck Jonathan who...
- Nigeria: Turai Angry With Jonathan Daily Champion| Saturday, 17 April 2010| Lagos — The gulf...
- Nigeria: Jonathan to Start Sweeping Changes Vanguard (Lagos)|1 March 2010| Jide Ajani and Ben Agande| Abuja...
- Nigeria’s Jonathan Sworn In After Yar’Adua Dies Aliyu Adekunle| 6 May 2010| Vanguard| In line with the...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.